If you have ever worked as part of a development team, you have probably encountered the tenuous nature of the relationships that some web designers and developers try to maintain. It’s difficult to get great creative minds to think alike. Still, it is necessary for everyone to work together like a well oiled machine. Here are five tools for relationship-building that could make life easier for both the designers and developers, hence a stronger team.
1. Frequent Communication – During the development process, it’s easier to address all disagreements and deal with all issues if the are handled on a frequent basis with good communication. The alternative of ignoring each other or letting things accumulate doesn’t work.
2. Use a Mockup Tool – While web designers strongly prefer good design tools, web developers relate well to mockup tools leading into the development process. Web designers using a mockup tool is a great way to reach across the aisle and build common ground.
3. Proximity – It’s much easier to build a good relationship if the principle parties are working in the same room or at least in the same location.
4. Organization – When multiple parties from multiple disciplines are working on a common project, good organization and project management skills becomes critical. This can be accomplished with a good project management software tool that all parties can access.
5. Cross Involvement – There are no written rules that state a web developer can’t be involved in the design process or vice-versa. The are two advantages to the development and initiating of cross involvement between web designers and developers. First, it allows parties to deal with issues upfront. Second, it allows all parties the opportunity to broaden their skill-base and become more marketable.